Dr. Alessio Fasano is the founder of the Center for Celiac Research, in Boston, Chief of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition at Massachusetts General Hospital and a Visiting Professor at Harvard Medical School. He has made major contributions to the understanding of autoimmune diseases, in particular coeliac disease. He has authored more than 240 peer-reviewed journal publications and has also been featured in numerous journals and magazines. He has written a must read book for all people with coeliac disease or any autoimmune disease titled Gluten Freedom
Dr Fasano has received several awards for his work:
- 2013 Linus Pauling Functional Medicine Award
- 2012 Shwachman Award
- 2011 Student Council Faculty Preclinical Award
- 2011 Influential Marylander in Health Care Award
- 2010 Arnold Silverman, M.D. Lectureship in Pediatric GI, Hepatology, and Nutrition
- 2009 Researcher of the Year Award from the University of Maryland
- 2006 Best Academic/Industry Collaboration Award from the Greater Baltimore Committee
- 2005 finalist for the NIH Director’s Pioneer Award
- 2005 Innovator of the Year Award from the State of Maryland
Dr Fasano’s must read book for all those with Celiac and other Autoimmune Diseases:
“Gluten Freedom is an adventure into the newest research about celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity―easily understood, very readable, and very personal.” ―Tri-County Celiac Support Group, Michigan.
“This tremendously valuable book provides clear and understandable information about the history of gluten sensitivity, autoimmunity in the gastrointestinal tract, and celiac disease, linked with best current knowledge about identification and treatment.” – J.M.Perrin MD FAAP Professor of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School.“As soon as I started reading Gluten Freedom, I couldn’t put it down. I have learned more things from this book than any physician, book and article that I have encountered. It contains four sections talking about everything from how gluten affects the brain to how to lead a gluten-free lifestyle.” – Briana
Further Reading on Dr Fasano
Pioneering Researcher Alessio Fasano on Gluten, Autoimmunity & leaky gut with Chris Kresser.